We have two open positions. In an ideal world, we would fill one position in late October/November 2020 and the other in February/March 2021
Classification and Estimated Hours
Full-time, salaried, exempt.
Odd hours and/or weekend work required.
- $35,568 per year
- 10 days paid vacation per year
- A substantial grocery discount through our sister business, Zadie’s Market
- Professional development opportunities
The farm at Carolina Flowers spans approximately 4 acres over three properties in Marshall, NC. The Farm Co-Manager is responsible for all day-to-day operations of the farm and works closely with the General Manager and the other Co-Manager to create, implement and track progress on farm plans and projects.
In addition to the day-to-day operation of the farm, the farm co-manager is responsible for record keeping and communication between the farm and the other arms of the business: the flower shop, the wedding florals and daily deliveries
Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparing soil for planting, including tilling, bed-shaping, and amending with compost and fertilizer.
- Planting flower crops from direct seed, plugs, bulbs, and tubers.
- Irrigation design, implementation and irrigation system maintenance.
- Creating and implementing programs for fertilizer and pest control, which include drenches, inoculants, foliar sprays, pellets and others.
- Installing netting and other necessary physical supports for crops that require it.
- Harvesting based on seasonal availability and flower shop needs.
- Understanding proper harvest stage, necessary harvest conditions and post-harvest handling and processing, including drying
- Dead-heading and topping plants to ensure continued production and proper physical structure.
- Removing previous season’s crops efficiently in order to make room for the next succession planting.
- Cover-cropping fields between successions as much as possible.
- Caring for all over-wintered crops throughout cold months, including venting high tunnels and constructing and venting low tunnels.
- Seasonally pruning flower bushes to encourage regrowth and proper physical structure.
- Maintaining the farm properties, including mowing, weed-whacking, ditch maintenance, and regularly removing trash.
- Maintaining proper irrigation and temperature conditions inside high-tunnels.
- Supervising part-time farm assistants.
- Working with the General Manager to make sure projects are on track and the flower shop has the flowers it needs on time.
- Many duties not listed here
- Professional farming experience. Farm management experience and flower farming experience are helpful but not required.
- Excellent communicator and record keeper.
- General carpentry and building skills are a plus. A proficiency with handtools for soil and construction is a plus.
- Solutions-oriented problem solver
- Persistent attitude
- Level-headed during unpredictable situations
- Methodical and able to understand and follow company policies
- Experience supervising farm assistants
- Commitment to sustainable and regenerative agriculture practices
- Knowledgeable about pest control and mitigation, particularly with regards to flower crops.
- Knowledge of growing in a wet, warm climate.
- Experience working with farm equipment, including tractors, tillers, brush hogs, weed-whackers, etc.
- Knowledge of machinery safety best practices.
- Risk-averse around heavy equipment.
- Hard-working, efficient, but not a rusher.
- Flexible and positive attitude.
- Willing to work hard and keep working in bad weather.
- Comfortable with a little bit of chaos.
- Finds joy in watching things grow and the beauty of fresh, local flowers.
- Must be able to regularly lift and carry 50 pounds over distances of up to 100 feet regularly and without difficulty.
- Must be able to work on your feet all day.
- Must be able to work in bad weather and come to work in the proper attire for the season.