Carolina Flowers Floral Assistant
Part-time, hourly, exempt position
Approximately 24 hours per week
Thursday-Saturday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
More hours may be available depending on business needs.
To begin ASAP
Carolina Flowers is Asheville’s flagship flower company, providing flowers from our fields to customers all over the metropolitan area through our delivery business. We also offer floral design services for weddings and events and sell our blooms at farmers markets.
You would work in Marshall, about 25 minutes northwest of Asheville, at our shop, Carolina Flowers Mercantile, which serves as both our retail showcase and our production area. All blooms come here after they leave the farm for processing, storage and arranging. It’s an exciting and beautiful place to work!
The Floral Assistant will be responsible for creating daily floral arrangements and bouquets, assisting with wedding and event design, processing flowers, taking orders over the phone and in person, maintaining the studio and flower shop, and working with the owner to ensure design standards are met and exceeded!
The Floral Assistant should encapsulate the spirit of Carolina Flowers with an upbeat, positive attitude and a genial, kind demeanor. The floral assistant will often interact with customers, so cordiality and conversation skills are a must.
The Floral Assistant should be able to understand design standards and follow instructions. The Floral Assistant will be expected to read and follow written instructions that communicate design standards AND infer design and style from demonstrations and examples.
The Floral Assistant must complete a paid introductory training program.
Floral design experience is a plus.
Experience with design and color theory is a plus. Manual dexterity as developed by art, crafts, cooking, trades or other physical occupations is a plus.
While design and production are big parts of this role, the Floral Assistant will also be responsible for maintaining a clean and organized space. The Floral Assistant must be ready and willing to scrub buckets and glassware until it sparkles, sweep floors, take out trash, compost stems and whatever else is required.
Because we are a fast-paced, quickly growing company the Floral Assistant should be flexible and excited about pitching in with other company initiatives as needed, whether that means filling in at the cash register, running supplies to the farm or helping execute a glamorous photo shoot. As a member of our team, it’s likely we will ask you to participate in outside-the-box team initiatives. We have fun, but we work very hard!
- You MUST be able to listen to feedback on your work and use this information to improve
- The ability to understand and follow design standards
- Must be able to work creatively on a deadline
- Must be able to adapt to change -- our materials change with the seasons!
- Knowledge of design and color theory or an interest in learning quickly
- Manual dexterity
- Excellent customer service skills and customer service experience
- Ability to operate a phone system and take orders via the phone
- Experience with Shopify is a plus
- An upbeat, positive attitude that comes across in everything you do
- Enthusiastic team player
- Attention to detail
- Organized and efficient
- Resiliency and indefatigability
- Punctual and reliable
- Freelance or part-time work for other florists (including yourself) must be disclosed and approved, and you must sign a non-disclosure agreement
- Excitement about becoming part of a quickly growing company and an interest in becoming more involved