Carolina Flowers Floral Designer
Hourly, full-time, non-exempt position
Approximately 32-40 hours per week
Wednesday-Saturday (occasional Sunday work may be required)
Are you an ace floral designer looking for the support and spirit that comes from working with a team?
We want to provide a Floral Designer with the opportunity to focus exclusively on the flowers and events. Our staff will handle booking, invoicing and other sales activities. You’ll be responsible for execution and design! The fun stuff!
Carolina Flowers is an ambitious farm-to-consumer business based in Marshall, North Carolina. We grow most of the flowers we use on our 4-acre farm using organic, sustainable practices.
Our shop, Carolina Flowers Mercantile, serves as both our retail showcase and our production area. All blooms come here after they leave the farm for processing, storage and arranging. It’s an exciting and beautiful place to work!
The Floral Designer will work with the General Manager to plan and execute wedding and event orders for on-site installation or pick up. Some daily floral design work may also be involved, particularly during the off season.
We’re looking for someone with excellent design skills that mesh with our natural, organic style. You should be a student of the floral industry, able to talk about trends and people who inspire you! We’re looking for someone who is passionate about design AND self development. This job is so much more than “playing with flowers.”
We’re also interested in someone who has solid, documented, long-term experience working as a floral designer, probably 2-3 years.
In addition to lots of industry knowledge, your skills must be very good. We’re looking for someone quick and efficient, equally skilled at arranging in the hand and in the vase. You should know the difference between a spiral stem bouquet and one that’s designed with an armature, and you should have experimented with both.
You should know how to construct installations -- and you should be able to improvise mechanics and solve problems on the spot. Be prepared to demonstrate your work as part of the interview process.
You should be excited by creative problem solving and able to come up with solutions to design and supply problems on the spot. You should feel calm and motivated under pressure. This job will present stressful situations.
We’re also looking for someone who can create a timeline for design work and stick to it.
Event work is physical in nature, so you must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
The Floral Designer should encapsulate the spirit of Carolina Flowers with an upbeat, positive attitude and a genial, kind demeanor. The Floral Designer will often interact with customers, so cordiality and conversation skills are a must.
The Floral Designer should be able to work within the established Carolina Flowers style. There is room for creativity and expansion of our current style, as long as it’s well communicated.
A minimum of 1 year of floral design experience is required.
Because we are a fast-paced, quickly-growing company, the Floral Designer should be flexible and excited about pitching in with other company initiatives as needed, whether that means filling in at the cash register, running supplies to the farm, washing buckets or helping execute a glamorous photo shoot. As a member of our team, it’s likely we will ask you to participate in outside-the-box team initiatives. We have fun, but we work very hard!
This is a full-time position, so you’ll also need the flexibility to switch duties during the off season. You will likely collaborate with other team members to create seasonal wreaths, make candles, or help with other business tasks.
- 1 year floral design experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of flower varieties and conditioning techniques
- Experience with Excel spreadsheets and floral recipes
- Demonstrated skill and creativity with floral mechanics
- Leadership aptitude and the ability to coordinate freelancers and helpers
- The ability to understand and follow design standards
- Must be able to work creatively on a deadline
- Must be able to adapt to change -- our materials change with the seasons!
- Knowledge of design and color theory
- Industry nerd who understands the big picture floral industry
- Excellent customer service skills and customer service experience
- Ability to operate a phone system and take orders via the phone
- Experience with Shopify is a plus
- An upbeat, positive attitude that comes across in everything you do
- Enthusiastic team player
- Attention to detail
- Organized and efficient
- Resiliency and indefatigability
- Punctual and reliable
- Excitement about becoming part of a quickly growing company
- Our preference is that we would be your only floral employer. Freelance or part-time work for other florists (including yourself) must be disclosed and approved
Full Time, Non-Exempt
Depending on experience
Discounts at Carolina Flowers and Zadie’s Market, our sister company
Estimated Weekly Hours
Various. Usually Wednesday through Saturday. Some late night and Sunday work may be required as our event schedule dictates